On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 4:55 PM, Ivo Wever <wever / axini.com> wrote:
> Robert Klemme wrote in post #977344:
>>
>> Ruby does not have checked exceptions and it provides enough
>> mechanisms to deal with exceptions which make wrapping superfluous
>> (see below).
>> [..]
>>
> It's very common to want to catch an exception and wrap it in a custom
> class, so you can add some information that is only available locally
> (e.g. parameter values that are probably responsible for the exception).
> That problem is independent of using checked exceptions and has to do
> with the general problem of propagating information up an unwinding
> stack. The way Java allows this is very helpful.

Is it really that common?  It may seem so on first sight but I can't
remember having ever felt the need for this in Ruby.  This may have to
do with my usage patterns of the language but I feel that you usually
deal with exceptions only by either logging the message or rolling
back some other code's work.

Cheers

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/