On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 12:50 AM, Nick Klauer <klauer / gmail.com> wrote:
> This might be a silly thing to ask, but when I went through the 1.8.7 and
> 1.9.2 installers, it just started copying files into my existing C:\Ruby1=
87
> and C:\Ruby192 folders. =A0Should it be mentioned that I need to uninstal=
l the
> old version first, or will this simply work fine overlaying new files and
> deletes old, deprecated files from the previous patch release?

Newer patchlevels will not introduce newer files, it will only
accumulate changes (bugfixes) so is safe to install on top.

The only annoying part is that Start Menu item will not reflect the
latest patchlevel indication.

You can safely uninstall previous version (it will not remove any
installed gem or customization) and you can install latest patchlevel
on top.

> Normally I'd be upgrading from a version that would install in a new fold=
er
> (Ruby 1.8.6 to 1.8.7 or 1.9.1 to 1.9.2), but since we're really only
> upgrading patch-levels, I wasn't sure if there were things I need to be
> aware of or things that might break if I'm not manually uninstalling the =
old
> version first.

We have a feature request to make the install prompt and automatically
uninstall previous version, but since that depends on the installation
done with or without admin privileges make things a bit more
complicated.

In the meantime, you can safely install on top or uninstall if you
want the Start menu folder match the installed Ruby.

Regards,
--=20
Luis Lavena
AREA 17