Previous respondent is right about mysql2 gem.  To get a yes/no answer about
whether the setup is valid and works with Rails, I would do it like this.

# assuming you've got Rails 3 installed
sudo gem install mysql2
rails new test_app -d mysql
cd test_app
ruby -i.bak -pe 'gsub(/password:/, "password: <MYSQL ROOT PASSWORD>")'
config/database.yml
rake db:create
rails dbconsole

Enter your MYSQL ROOT PASSWORD string when prompted, and if you get a mysql
prompt, you're good.

There's probably a way to do this in fewer keystrokes, but this will
definitely tell you whether you're OK within a minute or so.