--00032555e4ceb9c2fe049c7cb68f

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 2:41 AM, Shadowfirebird <shadowfirebird / gmail.com>wrote:

> And when I do use one it's always your type (1). Why would I want to define
> a class method anywhere else but in the class?  I do understand that for
> DSLs, all the rest of this syntax is really useful.   But -- showing my
> ignorance here -- is it really of any practical value elsewhere?

Well, more specific than DSLs: metaprogramming, and DSLs that generate code.

Some of the more abject design patterns, such as the factory pattern, can
often be avoid thanks to a combination of Ruby's dynamism and class methods.

The class is also a great place to stick state shared by all instances of
that class, such as the configuration details for accessing a particular
network service.

--
Tony Arcieri
Medioh! Kudelski