On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 4:41 AM, Shadowfirebird
<shadowfirebird / gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't mean it as a put-down; I suspect the only person I'm putting down=
 is myself. =A0 But I don't find that class methods actually come up much i=
n my Ruby coding; when I find myself coding one I tend to stop and think ha=
rd about whether I actually need it.

Indeed. Class methods in Ruby are a code smell: not always wrong, but
you should always think about why you're choosing a class-level method
instead of instance-level.

I think most of the class/module-level methods I write are "macros" -
e.g. methods along the lines of Ruby's #attr_accessor.

--=20
Avdi Grimm
http://avdi.org