On Feb 17, 2011, at 9:31 AM, Fernando Perez wrote:

>> I usually recommend not using UTF-8 in source at all and
>> push all UTF-8 strings into localization files (Either using a
>> heavyweight
>> solution like i18n or just a plain YAML file, if you don't want a
>> dependency).
>=20
> This makes the views (in RoR) unreadable, also we somehow lose=20
> autocompletion by the text-editor of html in the yaml file.

I think at least the "unreadable" part is debatable. Autocompletion =
might
be handy, but the features of your editor should not factor into the =
organization
of your code.

Also, ERB templates are #read, which takes the external-encoding setting
into account and then evaluated using #eval, which does take the =
encoding=20
of the string into account. Other templating libraries like haml have a=20=

setting for the default template encoding. So templates are not
really the problem, as you can already use utf-8 pretty freely without =
marking=20
it.

Regards,
Florian=