Yeah it's a bit funky.  I tried on the ruby I use at work:

ruby 1.9.2p136 (2010-12-25) [i386-mingw32]

which turns out is the same of yours.  This one has nread and ready?
both implemented, but both broken.  My version at home that I was using
before was slightly older I think...so it's probably the case that
IO/wait is a work in progress and with each version they make it
slightly less damaged, lol.

If on Windows you didn't see them, it might be that you forgot the
'require IO/wait'.  These methods belong to the IO method, but I think
you need the require to "extend" the IO class (can't remember the word
for Ruby modifying classes, but you know what I mean).

It's probably just best to stick with IO.stat.size for now. It's not an
obvious way to express things, but its worked so far.