David Burns wrote in post #981887:
> /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/net/pop.rb:864:in `check_response_auth': -ERR Bad
> login (Net::POPAuthenticationError)

"-ERR Bad login" is the actual response from the POP3 server. It means
you gave a bad username or password.

> I am able to download email from that account with the same
> username/password in thunderbird, without special ports or anything.

First try using telnet:

telnet pop.example.com 110
CAPA
USER username
PASS password
QUIT

If you get +OK then you logged in successfully. If you get -ERR then the
username and/or password is incorrect.

If you get -ERR then paste the transcript to the mailing list, blanking
out the password you tried, and we may be able to determine more from
what's seen.

> Could it be an SSL thing?

No. You would not be able to see -ERR in that case.