I tried using this expression:

    number++

....which isn't allowed in Ruby, I came to realize...but before I did, I got
an error that pointed to syntax in the middle of the next line of code about
2 actual lines down.  It would have been a little more helpful if Ruby had
actually pointed out the error, not a perfectly valid line of code following
the error.  I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out what was wrong
with the valid line of code before my eyes drifted up and saw the "++" I had
stuck in there.

Why does Ruby do that?  Is there a setting or something that fixes that?  I
am using Ruby 1.6.4.

    Sean