On Fri, 2011-02-11 at 13:51 +0900, EiNZTEiN wrote:
> On 2011-01-21 04:13:47 -0600, Hilary Bailey said:
>
> I am a school teacher
> > trying to create an education database software for administrators and
> > teachers which will hold educational institutions accountable for the
> > performance of their school district. My only programming experience is
> > the confusion I had trying to read and comprehend the above sources that
> > do not offer a stable compiler or the appropriate programs that will go
> > hand in hand with their book or resource for Ruby.

No offense meant, but creating a programming project like you are
describing is very complex. You need Ruby, MySQL, HTML, CSS, Rails, and
probably a few other technologies just to start a project like that. I
suggest you hire professional help, or plan to spend a year learning the
basics of programming and web building. I would suggest reviewing
existing projects and products for school administration.

Also, programming is like math. You can't learn it by reading a book and
skimming over the detail. You have to get in and do the problems. In
programming, you read the book(s) just to find out where the information
is, then you start working on your own program. As you need stuff, you
little thing that comes up, your skills improve. You can't learn
programming without doing it, and it doesn't take just a few days, it
takes months or years. I know; I used to teach programming at the
college level. Some people just "get it," and some never "get it."

--Dr. Mike