This gist has a bigger example of what I'm trying to do, but just
understanding how to make the following short example work, and/or why
it doesn't, will probably get me through the bigger problem.

testit.rb:

require 'pp'
class A
  @@a = [7]
  def self.get_a
    @@a
  end
  def self.put_a
    pp @@a

class B < A
  @@a = A.get_a.dup
  @@a = [8]
  def self.put_a
    pp @@a

A.put_a
B.put_a
A.put_a

[wwalker@dogwood inherit_settings] $ ruby testit.rb
[8]
[8]
[8]

I would expect:
[7]
[8]
[7]

I don't see my error.  I think that maybe dup() doesn't work on a class
variable, or that maybe class variables are not really class variables,
but are rather hierarchy variables that can only exist in one place in
an class and it ancestry?

--

Wayne Walker
wwalker / solid-constructs.com