Gordon Thiesfeld wrote in post #978911:
> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Marcel O.
> <raoultranchirer / googlemail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> it's transparent usage under Ruby for Windows:
>> this is the normal case under windows due to the DevKit.
>>
>> I made a proposal to use the OS_TYPE environment variable, but I don't
>> know if this will work on all systems. If no one can tell if this would
>> work and no one else is interested in fixing this and supporting the
>> MinGW-only use case, I must try to integrate the DevKit in our build
>> environment. In this case: Would it be possible to integrate DevKit's
>> MinGW+MSYS environment without the involvement of RubyGems.
>>

> You can require the devkit without rubygems.
>
> ruby -rdevkit extconf.rb

Adding the following to extconf.rb did the job for me. It implements a
workaround hack, by undoing the work of the stupid mkintpath function.

if CONFIG['build_os'] == 'mingw32' &&
   ENV['MSYSTEM'] != 'MINGW32'  # we are using MinGW without MSYS
  mf_content = IO.read( "Makefile" )
  mf_content.gsub!( /^topdir = \/([a-zA-Z])/ ) {
                     "topdir = #{$1}:" } # Ruby 1.8
  mf_content.gsub!( /^hdrdir = \/([a-zA-Z])/ ) {
                     "hdrdir = #{$1}:" } # Ruby 1.9
  File.open( "Makefile", "w" ) { |mf| mf.puts mf_content }