On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Hilary Bailey <my77elephants / gmail.com> wrote:

> I know that there are many surprises and my writing shows an innocence,
> which will eventually receive a "reality check". But in the meantime,
> based on my line of thinking, can anyone advice me on 1) the difference
> between the suites mentioned above and 2) my plan of action in deploying
> such product.

There is, for now, little difference between OpenOffice and
LibreOffice, seeing as LibreOffice forked only recently off of
Oracle's code base.

Considering, however, that pretty much all of the former OpenOffice
developers went over to LibreOffice, I'd stick with that. Especially
since Oracle hasn't shown so far to be trustworthy (3 OSS projects
have "split" from Oracle already: MySQL -> MariaDB, Hudson CI ->
Jenkins CI, OpenOffice -> LibreOffice; and Oracle isn't one to honor
promises, either made by their acquisitions (OpenSolaris isn't Free
anymore), nor promises they made themselves (see the Java Community
Process hubub)).

2) You can't really use Rails to deploy software to a client. It would
be possible, but it'd require providing some sort of client software,
and at that point you can use something simpler than use a web
framework (like password protected directories accessed via a GUI that
enables easy installation; similar to MS's Web Platform Installer, or
Ubuntu's Aptitude).

The question is: What is it you want to achieve?

--
Phillip Gawlowski

Though the folk I have met,
(Ah, how soon!) they forget