Once you write a script and want to test it, you run the irb program and type irb scriptname<enter> and if you've put the script in the directory where irb expects it it's possible you run your script.  The irb command is only one way to do this but useful for beginners.

-----Original Message-----
From: Hilary Bailey [mailto:my77elephants / gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 17:14
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: Re: Totally lost in learning Ruby

Here is my confusion....take the simplistic case of using an Excel
spreadsheet. I will be abel to type, perform math task etc...if I wish
to save a document can be accessed from the File-Open menu, then what
was saved can nbe executed by playing with some commands. With
Ruby/Rails, would the IDE be the source where I would enter scripts?. If
this is so, how would I retrieve/execute/display the saved macro/script.
Is Vim the tool that will do all of this using Ruby/Rails?