Based on the responses received I am leaned toward the following study guide:

A) since I intend to use the internet as the major source of communication, learning ruby through Rails may be my starting point. I installed Ruby 1.8.7, Rails 3.0.3, with Sqlite3 (1.3.3 x86 -mingw32)

A1) Download Devkit for use as a Ruby source of reference

A2) use the Ruby Gem web asa source of Ruby support

B) before delving into Ruby or Rails, I will learn critical basics from w3.schools.com, from which I will cover: HTML, CSS and JavaScript

C) purchase Ruby mine-code editor from http://www.jetbrains.com/ruby, using their 30 day free trial prom, to use while finally learning Ruby through Rails

C1) get started to learn Ruby/Rails. By first taking a 15 minute tour/intro from http://tryruby.org

C2) continue quest by
submerging into Rails through www.digitalmediaminute.com tutorials.

C3) start placing my then practiced scripts + other saved practiced tools, into a database of choice so to start dev a project

D) hopefully at this point I will be able to clarify in my mind which database source to use, what supporting instruments needed to be attached, etc.. to make a meaningful log-in program that will reflect real time, with the ability to gather, configure and interpret data.

If my analysis seems nave, please understand, and I think you do, my enthusiasm for using the open Source community as a savior to my woes.

What do you think? I know that I have over simplified the whole nature of programming, however at this stage I think I will be forgiven for bypassing some unmentioned stage/application/procedure.