--001636c5ab672a5800049b502712

> Ok. The question is why he liked it, if you'll pardon the pun.

First of all, a disclaimer: I never met or talked to _why. So I can't really
fully represent what his wishes were. That being said, you have to remember
where Shoes came from: Hackety Hack. Hackety needs to have everything that
it needs to function wrapped up inside of it: _why didn't want anyone to
have to download anything else to get it working.

> I don't mean to imply that the work involved would be trivial. I have

absolutely no idea how much work it would be.

Honestly, I can't think of anything in Shoes that would make it 100%
necessary. But the effort to convert everything over would certainly be
non-trivial.

> I just don't see any major
> blockers here -- I really don't see a good reason why Shoes should carry
> its
> own version of Ruby, when we have all sorts of other GUI toolkits,
> application
> frameworks, and DSLs distributed as plain old gems.

_why always referred to Shoes as an 'app toolkit.' He saw it as a different
thing. And Hackety needs it to be that way.

That said, we _are_ working on a pure Ruby Shoes, and it'll end up being the
future of Shoes. That said, it's going to be a bit still, and we'll still
have to work on getting the packaging system fully operational as well.

All in good time.

--001636c5ab672a5800049b502712--