/Thanks for the replies everyone - keep them coming!/

I forgot to mention I have also read 'Learn to Program' by Chris Pine.
It really inspired me to learn the language - and made me feel like 'I
can do it!'. If you're new to programming it is a must read! You can
read the older version for free here: http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram or
buy an updated version.

I have also started to read Design Patterns in Ruby - only started it
last night but loving it already! Will post updated thoughts when I
finish it.

James (blackdeath) - there are some great tips in this thread already,
don't lose hope. Read Learn to Program in the link above - it will raise
your spirits and show you that there are actually lots of people willing
to teach you this amazing language :)