I read and reviewed many Addison-Wesley books on Ruby lately, and my
favorites are:
-- Refactoring, Ruby Edition --
http://www.informit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0321603508
-- Design Patterns in Ruby --
http://www.informit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0321490452

They do not provide a lot of reference materials like The Pickaxe or The
Ruby Way, but they will teach you how to code in Ruby properly.

Concerning free (and recent) books, check out:
-- The Little Book of Ruby --
http://www.sapphiresteel.com/The-Little-Book-Of-Ruby
-- The Book of Ruby --
http://www.sapphiresteel.com/Blog/The-Book-Of-Ruby-free-in-depth