--0050450143e7ba2cbc049b2b1c99

Very Nice!

It's a very handy and powerful technique. And I really like the way you have
generalized it to "all objects"

I have used that technique twice before...

Once decades ago I used it to recognised the longest possible straight line
sequence of pixel boundaries to do raster to vector conversion in a exact
and near optimal manner.

More recently I "meta'd" it to step up a lexer to a grammar parser with
LittleLexer. http://littlelexer.rubyforge.org/

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 6:22 AM, Michael Edgar <adgar / carboni.ca> wrote:

> Good day Rubyists,
>
> I've just finished a write-up on an interesting problem: using Ruby's
> Regexp engine
> to search arbitrary sequences of potentially heterogenous objects. It's
> based on the
> more specific instance used in Ripper in 1.9. I've packaged it into a gem
> though it is
> a bit rough around the edges.
>
> The post can be found here:
> http://carboni.ca/blog/p/Regex-Search-on-Arbitrary-Sequences
>
> And the gem can be found here:
> https://github.com/michaeledgar/object_regex
>
> The gem requires Ruby 1.9+.
>
> Cheers,
> Mike Edgar
> http://carboni.ca/

PO Box 1645 Christchurch                Email : john.carter / taitradio.com
New Zealand

PO Box 1645 Christchurch                Email : john.carter / taitradio.com
New Zealand

addressee.  It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be
lost by reason of this transmission.
other act on the email.

--0050450143e7ba2cbc049b2b1c99--