On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 3:57 AM, Cassandra K. <cassandra.k / gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.  I am trying to teach myself Ruby.  I have no background in
> programming, or experience... only interest.
>
> I have armed myself with Pragmatic Programmers Learn to Program, as well
> as Koans.  I am running into walls trying to learn these things myself,
> because I get discouraged when there is no one to turn to when I have
> any questions.  I get stuck; I wander off.  This is no good.  Obviously
> there is slow progression, when any.
>
> The issue, then, is where do I turn when I have these (obviously simple)
> questions?  It seems both embarrassing and unnecessary to post on such a
> place as this, for simple issues in learning (for example, getting stuck
> on ruby koans).
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion?  Should I try to dig up a "Ruby mentor",
> so to speak?  And how would one go about doing something like that?
>
> -Cassandra
>
> --

For questions about how Ruby methods work, keep the docs handy
http://ruby-doc.org/core/ and an IRB session open that you can try out what
you read see what you think.

If that doesn't solve your question, or if your question isn't about how
some method / class works, then I recommend the IRC channel irc://
irc.freenode.net/ruby-lang
If you're on a Mac, you can use Colloquy to get on IRC
http://colloquy.info/I don't know what's best for other OS's, sorry
(though I just tried
http://webchat.freenode.net/ and it worked for me, in my Firefox browser).