On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 9:15 PM, Noah Cutler <sit1way / hotmail.com> wrote:

> Out of curiosity, most Ruby coders likely had experience in other langs
> before coming to Ruby. What makes Ruby your preferred lang comparedto
> others you have used?

Ruby is a language I love, but I have no preferred language. I have a
bias towards general-purpose scripting languages though, did a good
deal of Perl, and played around with Python for about a year. Reason
is productivity, one flies implementing solutions to problems in
scripting languages, and that's my motivation for doing development.

I am restoring dev.rubyonrails.org munging a backup from the wayback
machine in a mix of shell and Perl. Ruby could serve as well, but I
have Perl ingrained in my brain for text munging :). Contradiction?
Heresy? Not at all, my advice is to be fluent in as many languages as
possible, and to just use them at your will. Don't get too emotional
about your language choices.

I've doing Ruby almost exclusively since 2005. I do love the language
of course, but the reason I am doing Ruby is rather practical, I do
Rails for a living so I better be good at Ruby.