On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Shadowfirebird
<shadowfirebird / gmail.com> wrote:
> So far I don't believe I've heard anyone make the obvious case against me=
thod overloading -- that unless done very carefully indeed, it makes the co=
de much, much more difficult to read. =A0One method does one job is the san=
e way to go, thanks.

I had tried to make the point here:

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/377075

> Or, indeed, the practical case - at the very heart of Ruby is the idea of=
 duck typing. =A0Duck typing rules out method overloading, because paramete=
rs would have to have set types before you could have a signature. =A0Presu=
mably no-one is suggesting that we should have fixed typing in Ruby?

Erm, actually there _are_ people who believe typing should change in
Ruby to support static typing features.  There does not seem to be
much support for this in the community though.  Obviously ducks feel
more at home in our community pond than metal skeletons. :-)

Kind regards

robert

--=20
http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/