Terry Michaels wrote in post #978462:
> It seems like I should be given the chance to do something else if a
> require fails, such as print an more understandable message to the
> console or put something in a log. But it seems that ruby does not
> return from the 'require' call, or allow catching an exception. Am I
> right? And why is this?

A bare "rescue" without specifying a class will rescue StandardError
(and all its subclasses). But LoadError is not a subclass of
StandardError:

irb(main):001:0> LoadError.ancestors
=> [LoadError, ScriptError, Exception, Object, Kernel]

So you have to rescue it explicitly.

Google "ruby exception hierarchy" for more info.