I'm running ruby 1.8.7. If I 'require' a file, and it fails, the program
just crashes with message like so:

no such file to load -- whatsit
  from /usr/lib64/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in
`gem_original_require'
  from /usr/lib64/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in
`require'
  from (irb):1

or (if if I turn auto_gem off):

./main.rb:3:in `require': no such file to load -- whatsit (LoadError)
  from ./main.rb:3

It seems like I should be given the chance to do something else if a
require fails, such as print an more understandable message to the
console or put something in a log. But it seems that ruby does not
return from the 'require' call, or allow catching an exception. Am I
right? And why is this?