On Sat, 29 Jan 2011, Noah Cutler wrote:

> Yes, when looking at Rails, and how (from outsider's perspective)
> unwieldy it seems to be getting, I did notice Sinatra coming up in Rails
> alt searches.
>
> To get started, the basics are all I need: MVC + Persistence Layer +
> Form Builder (which no *rails framework has to-date from what I've
> seen); then, if the lang draws me, check out established frameworks to
> see what's possible. Sequel looks very appealing, btw, compared to
> active record.

Depending on what you want in terms of form building, you might take a
gander at ActiveScaffold.

> Out of curiosity, most Ruby coders likely had experience in other langs
> before coming to Ruby.  What makes Ruby your preferred lang compared to
> others you have used?

I started with computers in 1980.  Since then I've used a lot of
languages, high level and low.  I think the main reasons (for me) that I
like Ruby are its:

+ elegance - it's easy to produce readable and pretty code
+ conciseness -- Not too verbose, not too terse.  Just right!
+ don't have to keep reinventing the wheel -- traversing an iterator in
Java is *painful* compared to ruby.  Ruby is a lot DRY er.
+ Ruby is more *fun* -- you can metaprogram if you want.  There are a lot
more options with ruby than many other languages.
+ Coding in Ruby makes me happy!