Yep, it sounds like you'd be happy with Sinatra. It'd give you MVC, you can
use whatever you want for persistence, and I don't tend to use form builders
when I'm using Sinatra, so I don't have a good recommendation.

Out of curiosity, most Ruby coders likely had experience in other langs
> before coming to Ruby.  What makes Ruby your preferred lang compared to
> others you have used?

I've been programming since I was seven. I've done more than trivial
projects in something like a dozen languages. Ruby is still currently my
favorite. The biggest reason is the flexibility and the culture. Ruby treats
you like an adult, and is incredibly expressive. And there's a large
community that's helpful and constantly trying to improve the state of the
art.