Yes, when looking at Rails, and how (from outsider's perspective)
unwieldy it seems to be getting, I did notice Sinatra coming up in Rails
alt searches.

To get started, the basics are all I need: MVC + Persistence Layer +
Form Builder (which no *rails framework has to-date from what I've
seen); then, if the lang draws me, check out established frameworks to
see what's possible. Sequel looks very appealing, btw, compared to
active record.

Out of curiosity, most Ruby coders likely had experience in other langs
before coming to Ruby.  What makes Ruby your preferred lang compared to
others you have used?