OK, interesting, this is another reason testing is strongly encouraged
in *rails frameworks (since you'll need to restart the server at times
to integrate code changes); i.e. get it exactly as you want it before
you launch.

PHP, while slow, messy, awful, etc., does have the real-time benefit of
making a change to any file in the application, and have that change
integrated without ever having to restart.

I guess that dynamic languages such as Ruby & Groovy give you the
benefits of speed, crystal clear syntax (PHP makes me sick) and MOP
capabilities, but at a certain cost in web applications.

It's an adjustment coming from LAMP stack, but the alternative
(continuing with PHP) is pushing me toward Ruby or Groovy.

Now the question, why is Ruby so good compared to Groovy, Python et al?
So far the main criticism of Groovy is that MOP is an add-on to the
language vs built-in, as in Ruby where everything is truly an object,
and as a result, much more concise MOP implementations.  Python looked
appealing, but the explicit self method signature in every def just
annoyed me, already have to deal with $this-> everywhere in PHP.

Best way to learn might be to create a simple MVC web app in Ruby using
Sequel for persistence layer and maybe Haml + Sass for templates (if
even available outside of Rails).