On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 5:46 AM, Noah Cutler <sit1way / hotmail.com> wrote:
> However, one particular issue has me now looking at Ruby:
>
> When creating a web app. in Groovy, it runs on the JVM in a servlet
> container like Tomcat. All is well in terms of having a truly dynamic
> application (i.e. make a code change and no need to restart) with the
> exception that mixin and parent class code changes are NOT picked up,
> which requires a restart.
>
> This is a show stopper for me.
>
> Does Ruby have this same limitation, or can one make a change to any
> ruby file in an application and have that changed picked up by the
> server??

Not out of the box.  As Mark has explained there are environments that
do this but it's definitively not a feature of the language.  You
wouldn't want that as default behavior in a language because
implicitly changing code makes for hard to track bugs - and it's slow
because you need to compare file modification times always or at least
on a regular basis.

> Give me the good word on Ruby!

Ruby is great! ;-)

Cheers