Have you got the debug flag turned on, and does it output anything to
the console? I would expect it to say something like;

srv> nil

... in which case the socket gets method is returning nil for whatever
reason. If you just wanted to ignore it, you could have it return an
empty string or something if l == nil and see what breaks further down
the line. Maybe the socket connection is going away, or there is nothing
more to read off the socket? I'm not familiar enough with Ruby's socket
libraries or the Classes/ Methods therein sorry.

def readline(f)
     l = f.gets
     puts "srv> %s" % l if $debug
     if l.kind_of?(String)