In message <20020408145239.67568.qmail / web12407.mail.yahoo.com>
michael_s_campbell / yahoo.com writes:

> > |I added a File.extension method to file.c.
> >
> > I don't like the name "extension".  It's too vague.
> > Maybe "extname"?
>

> With all due respect to Matz' wishes, I took in informal poll of my
> peers at work and 100% of them said "extension" when asked: "In the
> file name ``foo.bar'', or ``a.out'', what do you call the ``.bar''
> and ``.out'' part of the filename?"  They had no idea WHY I was
> asking, but without hesitation, "extension" or "file extension" was
> the answer.  This was about 6 people.

Uh, but that seems too dosish for me....  Nowadays there's so many
people who lives on Windows environments, and they don't doubt `.ext'
is called `extension', but also there's those who are familiar to more
generic `suffix'.

Well, that is just my feeling.  Even matz doesn't care calling them
extension....

--
kjana / dm4lab.to                                  April 9, 2002
Youth comes but once in a lifetime.