Jason Cameron wrote in post #977491:
> rate_type  location   algorithm  rate
> BCD        Here       simple     1.2
> ATD        There      fractal    4.3
> STE        Elsewhere  binary     3.2
> TSO        Really Far polyamory  0.1
>
> I need to be able to create a data structure that I can search easily.
> Enabling bulk inserts of some sort would be nice as well.
>
> At the moment I'm looking at activerecord-tableless.  Unfortunately I'm
> not entirely sure how to create a bunch of activerecords (not just one
> at a time)
>
> Is there a better alternative?

activerecord-tableless won't give you *any* searching functionality.
It's basically just model validations. If you don't need AR-style
validations then you might as well just use OpenStruct (ostruct.rb in
the core library)

I'd say the key points to consider are:

* What sort of searching do you want to do?
* Do you want persistence, or will you always reload your data every
time your application is re-run?

If your database is small and/or your queries are complex, you might
just want to search using a linear scan.

   objs.find { |o| ... condition ... }

If you need an indexed search but you only want to search on one field
at a time (e.g. find all fields with location "Here") then you can just
build hash indexes for yourself.

If you want to persist this Ruby object structure you've built, then you
could use something like Madeleine.

If you want to keep everything in memory but have some basic querying
like unions and intersections, maybe "redis" is what you're after. By
leaving the redis daemon running your data can persist in memory and be
accessible to multiple scripts (in ruby and/or other languages).

If you want arbitrary querying, indexes and persistence to disk, then
you'd almost certainly be better off with something like sqlite.

Regards,

Brian.