Hi,

> /home/acore/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-ole-1.2.11.1/lib/ole/types/base.rb:42:in
> `initialize': invalid encoding ("utf-8", "utf-
> 16le") (Iconv::InvalidEncoding)
>        from

It looks an error from Iconv library, I guess the encoding from utf-8
to utf-16le failed.
The Iconv library is a wrapper library of iconv() function on a system.
It means Iconv works differently depending on a system.
For example, try to type the following on a console,

  iconv -l

If you cannot find 'utf-8' and 'utf-16le' on the result, then you
cannot convert 'utf-8' to 'utf-16le'.
Try to run the same script on a different environment, I mean a
different OS. It may work.

Best regards
Masa