> this is a general census to get developer feedback. Please post the
> issues you encounter when developing in ruby. This can range from
> syntax issues, to library support, documentation, or anything that is
> a roadblock when developing in ruby.

Very little about Ruby annoys me, to be honest.  By some freak of design it seems that it synergises with the way my brain works.

However, nothing is perfect:

1) +1 for the whole "Gem is annoying" thing.  "Gem install" works *for me*.  But when I try to share my programs with non-ruby-coders, the whole thing gets silly and embarrasing. "I have to install what and then do WHAT?"  To me it's a hangover from the worst bits of Perl.  And don't get me started on Bundler and the like: improving Gem by installing a Gem?  That's not a solution, it's an ugly band-aid.

2) Evens this is me and not Ruby, but what is it with 'ri'?  I can't get it to return information about Gems I have installed - which would sort of be half the point?  And sometimes it returns obscure information when I want basic information.  'ri File', for example, tells me about "Ftools - extra tools for the File class" - and not about the File class itself...

3) I dabbled with Python a while ago and got a bit jealous with the way it could automatically wrap a C library for you.  Oh, I know we can do something similar; but not automatically as such.   That's more of a whine on my part than a genuine complaint.

4) If I'm reduced to whining, I wish some developers would realise that an online Rdoc is not the same as documentation.  It's useful, but if you have only the barest idea of what the Gem/whatever actually does, it's hardly going to help that much.

There.  I feel much better now.

--
Some optional equipment shown.