On Fri, 2011-01-14 at 08:52 +0900, Jonas Pfenniger (zimbatm) wrote:
> What platform are you on ? Generally, you can disable specific
> packages at the time you run the ./configure script.
>
> In that case:
>
>   ./configure --disable-tk
>   make
>   make install

I just tried ./configure --disable-tk and the configure script finishes up with:
config.status: creating Makefile
configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --disable-tk
I was under the same impression and yesterday I tried --disable-tk,
--disable-tcl, --without-tk, and --without-tcl. All with no success.
I also spoke with a friend that told me tcl/tk support was also in
Ruby 1.8.  I thought Tcl/Tk was added in 1.9.  Which answers my question.
No, you can't have Ruby without Tcl/Tk support.