> Maybe a new hope for embedding an interactive Ruby in my GUI
> application? Some months ago, I posted on this list with the subject of
> embedding IRB in my GUI application for debugging purposes or just for
> users who want to have fast access to the things they're working with.

Should be possible. I've been able to bring ripl to the web via
websockets, http://github.com/cldwalker/nirvana.

> But trying to make IRB read from something else as STDIN is a real
> nightmare and nearly impossible on a Windows system, not to mention
> across platforms.
> I'm interested. Is it possible to make ripl read from and write to an
> arbitrary IO object?

Check out the plugin ripl-play, http://github.com/cldwalker/ripl-play.
It can read from stdin, a file or a url. It can also record a ripl
session to be played back later.

Feel free to contact me or open an issue on github if you need more help
making a ripl plugin,
Gabriel