David Masover wrote in post #971588:
> On Thursday, December 30, 2010 11:12:52 pm Mohnish J. wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to build a chat application purely using Ruby. I have looked
>> at the example on http://www.rubyinside.com/advent2006/10-gserver.html .
>> The code in the example doesn't seem to be working for me. On running
>> the ruby script on the terminal, and connecting to the url:
>> http://localhost:1234 in my browser, I indefinitely encounter a
>> "Transferring data from localhost..." message.
>
> GServer is a TCP server. It's not a webserver. You can certainly build a
> webserver on top of it, but I don't know why you would, when there's
> five or
> ten good webservers for Ruby already, available as gems.
>
> From your code, it sure doesn't look like you've written a webserver, so
> maybe
> open a terminal and type:
>
> nc localhost 1234
>
> ...except that's probably going to just quit, since you don't actually
> ever
> write anything, as far as I can tell.
>
>> May be I
>> need to specify something in the command line while executing the script
>> or I am supposed to start the chat(input output) through some other
>> place(probably the browser).
>
> Since it's a GServer example, I'm guessing you want something like
> netcat.
>
> Also, it looks like the "serve" method is designed to be an entire TCP
> connection, so if you were intending this to be a persistent connection
> (as
> you'd have with a chat server), you'd need some sort of loop, as in the
> original code.

Hi David!!

Thanks for your reply, I didn't think about the very fact that I was
actually trying to implement a tcp protocol on a web browser. Thanks for
making me realize that. I guess now I can understand why that code in
the "example" is not working for me beyond a point.. I was able to
implement a chat application using UDP Datagrams and UDPSocket class in
Ruby..