I've taken another look at the ruby and ruby on rails jobs going in my
area, and its only about 5 jobs being advertised tops. And most of them
want other technical know-how such as java/php/css/ etc etc. Seeing
things like that make it very hard to justify the learning of something
that although it is great to code with, isn't leading anywhere jobswise.
I should explain. I live in England at the moment and I am in the south
of the country. I would say that Winchester/Southampton/Portsmouth are
the closest cities to me regards travelling, I don't drive you see. But
seeing a major lack of jobs for Ruby, makes me wonder about the validity
of carrying on with learning it.

Now I suppose the other route is freelance via one of the many freelance
portals?

BTW, many thanks to everyone here for their answers, I'm really humbled
and happy to hear your honest responses.