On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 3:25 PM, ccc <cartercc / gmail.com> wrote:
> I've just started to play with Ruby. I'm using Windows XP. What is the
> best text editor/IDE to use?
>
> I have good experience with vi, intermediate experience with emacs,
> and have used a number of others such as TextPad, Eclipse, and (sorry)
> Visual Studio.

No need to be sorry about Visual Studio. Eclipse, OTOH... ;)

Anyway: If you have experience with vi, vim is a good choice with
syntax highlighting for Ruby. However, the default build of vim is not
built against Ruby, so there is no means of running scripts with
editor commands. There exists a vim build that supports Ruby, but only
1.8.6.

This is a good start: http://jamescrisp.org/2007/03/01/_vimrc-for-ruby/

--
Phillip Gawlowski