On Dec 21, 2010, at 7:12 AM, Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:

> JEG is claimed we "suck at process management" because of two reported =
bugs we didn't immediately fix=85

That's not really why I said that.

I was once trying to use JRuby in a POSIX environment where I needed =
Unixy process management.  It had to interoperate with other processes =
that expected these behaviors.  I ran into at least two challenges and =
filed the bugs I had seen.  In your replies, you gave me some =
workarounds and explained why things were purposely working this way.  =
At this point I realized JRuby was the wrong tool for the job and =
switched.

My opinion is that Ruby grew up in Unix and it purposely exposes a lot =
of Unixisms.  I think that means exit!() should kill my process now and =
exec() should replace my process.  That's what those methods mean to me. =
 When you give me reasons why that isn't a good idea, it makes me feel =
like JRuby has stopped trusting me to make the best decisions.  That =
feels like the Java way, but not the Ruby way, in my opinion.

However, these feelings of mine are not why I said JRuby sucks at =
process management.  I said it because your exec() doesn't really exec() =
on purpose.  Your exec() isn't a POSIX exec().  I don't feel that's =
debatable.  It's just a fact.

So I'll refine my statement a little:  JRuby sucks at POSIX style =
process management.

James Edward Gray II