On Dec 20, 2010, at 11:51 , Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:

> The JVM and the JDK APIs suck at process manipulation...not JRuby.

Oh come now. If the JVM sucks at something, JRuby sucks at it too. Don't pass the buck.

> JRuby does the best job it can do cross-platform with the JDK APIs
> provided for it. If you need to go outside those APIs, or if we "suck"
> in how we utilize them, it's a trivial matter to bind native C
> process-management logic via FFI and use that. It won't be as portable
> as what we provide, but it will work.

If it were trivial, why aren't you shipping it (or at least pointing to a jruby supported gem that does)? You've espoused FFI as the C-API silver bullet time and again. I have doubts that it is that trivial as FFI itself seems non-portable.