Am 19.12.2010 19:17, schrieb Justin Whalley:
> Hi, I'm new to Ruby. I am trying to use require to bring in methods.rb,
> which is located on my hard drive in the Chapter05 folder. Getting the
> following error:
>
> C:\Users\Whalley\Training\Ruby\Practice\Chapter05>ruby methods.rb
>
> C:\Users\Whalley\Training\Ruby\Practice\Chapter05>irb
> irb(main):001:0> require "methods.rb"
> LoadError: no such file to load -- methods.rb
>         from <internal:lib/rubygems/custom_require>:29:in `require'
>         from <internal:lib/rubygems/custom_require>:29:in `require'
>         from (irb):1
>         from C:/Ruby192/bin/irb:12:in `<main>'
> irb(main):002:0>
>

> Anyone know what I can do to resolve this? I am following along with a
> video tutorial that is using 1.8.?, and they are getting it returned as
> "true" without any Load Errors.
>
> Any and all help will be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

From the official ruby-lang.org website
(http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/news/2010/08/18/ruby-1-9.2-released/):

It causes a LoadError
    $: doesn't include the current directory. Some script may need
modifications to work properly.

I.e., "." is not one of the directories Ruby searches for scripts to
require. Either use require_relative (which doesn't work in IRB, because
there is no source file one could require relative to) or use

require "./yourscript.rb"

But PLEASE do not use that inside normal scripts, that's what
require_relative is made for (and require_relative does some more than
the code I gave above).

Vale,
Marvin