On Dec 19, 3:39  Ү
wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am trying to talk to a USB device (a thumb drive) in Windows 7 via
> Ruby. I installed the Ruby-USB gem without errors. I tried a simple code
> snippet wherein I tried to list all the USB devices connected on the
> system -
>
> require 'usb'
> USB.devices
>
> However, in IRB, this is just outputting []. I tried to use
> USB.find_devices and that is outputting 0.

Did you install libusb? libusb is a driver require by ruby-usb to
communicate on Windows to the USB layer.

http://www.libusb.org/

I have no experience with this, so beyond these two comments, cannot
give you more help

> What exactly am I doing wrong? Do I need to give admin rights to Ruby
> under Win 7 to detect USB devices. If yes, can someone enlighten me how
> to do it?

You will need to start a command prompt elevated (admin rights) look
on Google for "elevate.vbs" which is a command line script that mimics
sudo.

--
Luis Lavena