On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 9:49 AM, Eric Christopherson
<echristopherson / gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 8:22 AM, John Morrice <spoon / killersmurf.com> wrote:
>>> Is there other compilers than these then?
>>
>> There's a JRuby compiler that I've never used
>> http://kenai.com/projects/jruby/pages/JRubyCompiler

There's generally two reasons to compile Ruby to JVM bytecode ahead of time:

* To hide the code
* To create a "normal" Java class

Neither are necessary to bundle Ruby code into a single executable jar
or exe, as Eric mentions that rawr (and now warbler) can do.

>> But that compiles to java class files, rather than linux executables.
>
> And rawr makes Linux, OS X, and Windows executables out of JRuby programs.
>
> http://rawr.rubyforge.org/

Rawr is a great option, if a bit undermaintained. Nick Sieger's
warbler can also take an arbitrary project/app/lib and bundle it into
an executable .jar file. Then you just need Java installed somewhere,
which is generally pretty easy.

- Charlie