On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Paul Duncan wrote:

: * Stefan Matthias Aust (sma / 3plus4.de) wrote:
: > Hi!
: >
: > I wonder whether Ruby would be a good choice to develop application for a
: > device like the new Sharp Zaurus 5500 PDA.  It's Linux based, so it
: > shouldn't be difficult to compile Ruby for that system.  How much memory
: > does Ruby need to run?  To create GUI application, would would probably need
:
: A Ruby package is available in the standard Familiar feed.

I'm not familiar with Familiar :) but it appears to be targetted at the
iPaq.  Can something compiled for the iPaq/linux be run on the Zaurus
(like Amiga/Atari linux compatibility)?

With some fiddling with the configure/configure.in file I was able to
get ruby to cross-compile on a ix86 linux machine with no problems.  But
I haven't actually tried to run it (still working out getting the Z
connected to my machine).

configure exits in certain areas when cross compiling, so I had to add a
couple of things to config.h.  Is there a way we could make this a
little easier?  Also, what's the endian of the arm chip?

Wes.