Thanks Jeremy.
Everythin looks good if I use <br> where I need it and then view it with
a browser. The text I'm dealing with is HTML but I'm trying to get rid
of all the HTML tags and get the raw data into a text file on my Red Hat
machine.

I tried iterating through each line of the HTML text and using:

   j.gsub!("substituton for where I want the new line", "carriage
return")

For "carriage return", I have tried using \r and \n but it puts those in
literally and does not force a carriage return when I open up the file
in VI.

It seems like \n and \r are not working in this case.

atomic