On Dec 10, 8:13=A0am, Robert Klemme <shortcut... / googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Intransition <transf... / gmail.com> wrote=
:
> > Is Ruby is getting further and further locked in to a specific set of
> > tools and libraries and if you don't use those tools you are a second
> > class citizen?
>
> I have no idea whether what you describe is a trend. =A0My usage of Ruby
> is too restricted to collide with any "preferred tools" and I am
> largely gem agnostic albeit not ignorant. :-)

Perhaps characterizing it as a trend is a bit much. But it's certainly
a slippery slope. I'm with the crowd that thinks Ruby should be going
the other way. It needs to be shedding some of its tertiary libs, not
adding more. The danger is clear, especially with added tools, as Eric
put it your project is now "second-class" if you don't use Rake. The
line dissolves and then Rake is Ruby.