On Dec 11, 3:18=A0pm, Eric Hodel <drbr... / segment7.net> wrote:

> I think it's reasonable for Erik to consider projects that don't use Rake=
, which ships with Ruby, as second-class and unsupported at this time.

You hit the nail on the head. Now that Rake is in Ruby it's easy for
people to justify *requiring* it's use.

It's bad enough that just having a library distributed with Ruby can
discourage innovation.

What do you think the developers of Rant thought of Rake being added
to Ruby?

What would you think if Bones were added to Ruby?

And then to use a RubyGems feature you had to use Bones?

I understand that rubygems-test is currently a plugin and not the end-
all be-all of gem testing. I'm just making a point that ultimately
it's better to keep things open, and that I hope you make it an
important objective for future versions, and not just let it slip to
the way side, considering projects that use alternative systems as
"second-class".