Hi,
I had the same problem on Ruby 1.8.6 (2009-08-04 patchlevel 383) [i386-mingw32], and then noticed that the RUBYLIB environment variable was pointing to some dumbass location. I unset RUBYLIB and fxri loaded ok.
However, the search function in fxri was broken.

Different story withRuby 1.9.2. fxri crashes with a missing file (ri_driver)

After that, I gave up on fxri.

HTH,
Tad