On Dec 2, 2:00=A0pm, Marc Weber <marco-owe... / gmx.de> wrote:
> Excerpts from paul h's message of Thu Dec 02 14:45:23 +0100 2010:
>
> > Hi all,
>
> > Has anyone any ideas if it is possible to embed a Flash Player ActiveX
> > Control on Windows or Plugin on *nix, into a Ruby program? Can Ruby
> > interact with, control or display a swf?
>
> > I have searched the group and found a few links but nothing is newer
> > than 2005, and the links appear to be dead, so was just wondering if
> > there have been any developments in this area that anybody knows
> > about.
>
> ActiveX is Windows only. Flash runs on linux - but at least my (debug)
> player on linux has some flaws (some crashes - and I can't always click
> on everything) So whatever you do test it.

I don't appear to be having any problems with Flash on Linux - the
Firefox plug-in appears to be pretty stable (Ubuntu 10.4) - not
installed the debug player due to doing Flex work on a Win box.

> There is also gnash - an open source implementation of flash - but AFAIK
> its missing features.
>
> Flash standalone applications are called "air" apps. I don't have much
> expierence with them. Maybe it helps you when using a search engine.
>
> Good luck.

> Marc Weber

Flash on the desktop (without a SWF2EXE tool) and AIR apps (also need
to ensure the customer has the AIR runtimes from Adobe), are a little
bit restricted as far as OS interaction is concerned so I was looking
for some solution where I can use Flash/Flex for the UI, embedded into
a Ruby program - I also want to deliver to Win,*nix and Mac - my
SWF2EXE tool is Win only - which is why I was hoping for a ruby based
solution.

However, I do all my ruby work on Ubuntu, and will look into Tk for
the UI.

Thanks anyway Marc

Paul